Wednesday, July 31, 2013

D-Week 10: The Words I Choose and the Food I Eat

As I am saying my goodbyes this week, I am softening the blow by choosing to use the phrase "see you later!" instead of goodbye. So far, so good. No tears. Just thanksgiving and praise for a wonderful summer.

Pretty uneventful week, but mostly I'm probably shutting down emotionally as a self-protective measure. Jen's family was in town so we got to hang with them a bunch. Highlight: Phillies game! Thankfully, God protected us from x-treme humiliation and mockery by aligning the stars to have us go to the game we only lost 1-2. I don't care to recollect the numbers for the other two games. I love Detroit but forget that junk. We also went to Duly's Place for Coney Islands. Typically, American and Lafayette are Detroit's equivalent to Pat's and Geno's in Philly for cheese steaks, but my boy Anthony Bourdain went to Duly's for his Coney so obviously we had to go there. It was yummy.

No more words this week, I'm having trouble forming them. Pictures!

Baker's Keyboard Lounge - legendary for Detroit (and American) jazz. 

Baker's is supposed to have awesome food. It was pretty good - mac n cheese and dressing

Basil Vanilla Twists - an original vegan recipe from moi. All gone except for one! For Sunday potluck!

Rosemary Peach Monkey Bread made by moi. For Sunday potluck!

Reflection circle after a day of volunteering at Earthworks. Sitting under the shade in an orchard on a beautiful week day.

Rolling deep in the back seat

Duly's. Awesome diner. I love diners

Coney Islands

Tigers Stadium is really pretty

Fireworks every Friday at the Stadium!

I love fireworks :)

This is how we are eternally hip

Ok so as I was putting these pictures in I realized I wanted to highlight our food. Through our grocery shopping and eating out, both Jen and I have realized how abundantly God provides for us. We are shopping on food stamps, but Detroit just started their Double Up Food Bucks program, where at certain markets in the city, you can buy $12 worth of "tokens" for $6 on food stamps. So we rely on the markets to eat cheap, fresh, and organic. We also have been able to harvest the greatest food from our Hostel garden and from the community garden in our backyard. Carrots, tomatoes, garlic, onions, dinosaur kale, basil, and sage are all plentiful and delicious from our backyard. Soon we will have brussels sprouts and even more tomatoes! Another source of food for us is Hostel left overs. Certain guests really like to cook so they'll buy a bunch of groceries from the only two super markets in the area (Whole Foods and Honey Bee, both of which have amazing grocery selection - guaranteed yumminess!) and leave them for us when they leave. We've salvaged anything from beer to kale to pre-popped popcorn, a personal favorite! It is so fun mixing and matching our groceries and veggies and coming up with new dishes to try together and share with the Hostel. I can't articulate how great of a feeling it is to look at our dinner and know exactly where all my food comes from. I am thinking it will be quite a shock to go back to eating Monsanto and Round-Up from my local mega-grocery store in NOLA. Puke.

Typical hostel meal - Spanish rice was a thank you gift from a friend, avocados, black beans, salsas, beers, and cheese were salvaged from hostel guest left-overs. Cheapest, delicious late night snack!

Freshest, localest, cheapest, tastiest salad. From our backyard: squash blossoms, carrots, tomatoes, garlic used on bread. From Earthworks Farm: kale. For free from the local bakery: bread with vegan butter and garlic spread. 

Typical dinner: any mix of local/salvaged/bought food, $4 wine, sun tea, hot water, 30 Rock on Netflix, best friend. I will miss this life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment