Thursday, July 18, 2013

D-Week 8.5: Bankrupt

I love this city. I can't say it enough. I love Detroit. I am confused and overwhelmed and anxious about what my life will be when I return to NOLA. Detroit is home. For me it's a safe space, an incubator, a retreat, a cultivator. Today, the emergency financial manager declared Detroit bankrupt.

As I was talking on the phone with my Dad about what will be next for Detroit, I looked around from the back porch of the Hostel. My Dad explained about the bonds and pensions (I'm very financially clueless so he was spelling it out as for a five year old), and said that the city will provide fewer services now that they are officially broke. I looked to my right and saw four empty plots. I looked in front of me and saw an empty plot and two decaying houses that are occupied. I looked to my left and saw a courtyard with 12 apartments, four of which are occupied, and one without running water so they jerry-rigged a makeshift shower and toilet in the doorway of an abandoned unit for them to use. And we live in a good part of the city! What can get "fewer" than this? Barely any of the street lights are on, the public transportation barely maintains a schedule, and the banks own what seems like every other house you see. I realized that I guess what I was looking at was a city that has been on the verge of bankruptcy for years.

Today Jen and I biked downtown to the River Walk for Bible talk. As we biked through the ancient skyscrapers I just felt sad. What is going to happen to this city now? Who will care about Detroit? What politician will ever do right by this city?

Talking to Detroiters, they seem sad about the declaration, but optimistic that a clean slate will help the city. I am so astonished by the perseverance of Detroiters to have faith in their city government. I believe in this city! I will always say nice things about Detroit. Despite the issues, every morning that I volunteer I am surrounded by Detroiters who are making their neighborhoods and communities better, who are laughing, who are hopeful, who are coming together to learn and grow and do right. Detoit is the most happening city in America with the most creative, driven, and caring people fighting to right wrongs and create a better city from the ground up. I've never seen that in any other city the way I see it here. Detroit challenges my heart's compassion and earnestness to see justice done. My biggest fear is that I don't carry Detroit's lessons with me as I leave this city, because the rest of America needs these lessons.

I have no idea what kind of effect this declaration will actually have on Detroit. But I am glad I was here for such a historic event, and no matter what, this has been the very best summer of my life!

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment