Monday, January 23, 2012

Vegetable broth and coffee shops

So I just made some yummy veggie broth, and I love making my own food! Making my own broth has saved me so much money, esp during the winter when I want to cook a lot of soups and stews.




I went to Para Coffee shop on the corner the other day after looking at the lights in the Rotunda for work, and when they poured my almond milk into my coffee (I know I'm a snub and an elitist and a priss), I saw they had a glass jug so I asked where they got their almond milk. Apparently they not only make their own almond milk, but walnut and pistacio milk as well! So crazy! So this is my next endeavour. And, this will save me money too. Considering I went over my food budget by $20 this month (it's not even the end of the month yet...sheesh), I could use all the savings I can get. And, the added benefit to this recipe is that it produces flour too, so I can bake more!

http://www.ohnuts.com/blog/2011/03/how_to_make_almond_milk_recipe_1.html

My next baking: cinnoman buns. Vegan brunch for the win. Also with these.

http://veganmenu.blogspot.com/2010/02/super-bowl-buffalo-tofu-pommes-frites.html

Speaking of going over budgers, I also went over my gas budget. So, it's back to riding my bike again. Amen for muscles! But with all that calorie burning I need some extra food. Basically someone needs to make me food. That's my love language. Food.

Speaking of food, I had a food dream the other night! I have been thinking a lot lately about the best dessert I've ever had....it was after my half marathon and my friend Grace had us over and made this delicious meal, but I totally forget what it was because the dessert was AMAZING!!! It was slow baked apples (how do you even do that???) with vegan vanilla SOY ICE CREAM!! I can't even explain how good this was. So, in my dream, I had vanilla ice cream with cocao toast, and I heated it up in the microwave, and it was delicious. So, let the dream inspired food begin.

2 comments:

  1. Kate! Here is the recipe :)

    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/apple_confit.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, those apples sound soo good...

    ReplyDelete